Skip to main content

Exegetical Notes on Matthew 3:13-17


Exegetical Notes on Matthew 3:13-17

Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented. And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.”

Observation:
  • Jesus travelled from Galilee to where John was baptizing
    • Jesus desired to be baptized
  • John didn’t want to
    • Claimed he needed to be baptized by Jesus
  • Jesus said it is necessary to fulfill all righteousness
  • John agreed
  • Jesus was baptized
  • The heavens were opened
    • Spirit of God descended like a dove and landed on him
    • Voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.

Who: Jesus
What: Came to John to be baptized
Where: East bank of the Jordan River, about 9 Miles north of the Dead Sea
When: 30 AD – This marks the transition from the hidden life of Jesus to His public ministry.
Why: Jesus claims to fulfill all righteousness


Interpretation:
  • Matthew reads like it was translated from Hebrew or Aramaic.  The literary structure models Genesis in that the word, “Behold” is used often.  This feature is not included in the NRSV translations.  KJV version uses “lo” in Hebrew, the term is “Hine.”  In Greek it’s ,”Idou”
  • What does fulfill all righteousness mean? 
    • According to Strong’s, righteousness (dikaiosyne – G1343) is derived from dikaios (1342) meaning equitable and innocent) dikaios is derived from 1349 – dike, meaning right.  Righteousness must have some sense of equity, so Jesus was baptized to share in our human condition.
    • Fulfill – G4137 pleruo.  Literally to cram a net full, to level off a hollow, figuratively to satisfy an office, to make complete, finish.
  • Why would Jesus need to complete righteousness so early in His ministry?

Author: Apostle Matthew, reformed tax collector
Audience: Early Jewish followers of The Way
  • Well we did it one way and it didn’t work
    • Moses/Joshua – went pretty well
    • Judges – horrible cycle
    • Saul – disaster
    • David – Pretty good except for the whole Bathsheba thing and then murdering her husband.
    • Solomon – Started out well but then committed apostasy with his many foreign wives.
    • Just about every king after Solomon was terrible
    • Exile
    • Return under Ezra and Nehemiah – rebuilt the Temple and rededicated the Law.
    • Alexander the Great’s conquest
    • Maccabean revolt
    • Rome enters the picture
      • Pharisees
      • Sadducees
      • Essenes
      • Herodians
      • Zealots


Jim Gaffigan: I need to believe that there is some greater power that forgives me for being the monster that I am.

Max Lucado: The human mind explaining baptism is like a harmonica interpreting Beethoven: the music is too majestic for the instrument.
  • In a sermon on Baptism delivered Nov 12, 1995 Ludaco compared Baptism to a Wedding – as the joining of two into one.

Correlation:
Within Matthew:
  • 3:11 – Jesus will baptize with the Holy Spirit and Fire
  • 21:25 – Jesus suggested that the Baptism of John was from heaven
  • 28:19 – Jesus commands his apostles to make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit

Within the rest of Scripture:
  • Acts 1:5 – John Baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit
  • Acts 2:38 – Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit
  • Acts 10:38 – Jesus at his Baptism was anointed with the Holy Spirit and Power
  • Mark 10:38 – Jesus asked James and John if they were able to be baptized with the baptism He was baptized with.
  • Luke 12:50 – Jesus had a baptism to be baptized with and He was in agony until it was completed.  (Does this refer to His crucifixion?)
  • Romans 6:4 – Buried with Christ in baptism, so we could be raised with Him and walk in newness of life.
  • Colossians 2:12 – Buried with Christ in baptism, and raised with Him through faith in the power of God.
  • 1 Peter 3:21 – Baptism … now saves your … as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ
  • Luke 15:7 – There will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance
  • Luke 15:10 – There is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

Book of Common Prayer:
  • Sin distorts our relationship with God, with other people, and with all creation. (pg 848).
  • We lose our liberty when these relationships are distorted (pg 849)
  • The Messiah sets us free from the power of sin, so that we may live in harmony with God, our neighbors, and with all creation. (pg 849)
  • Inward and spiritual grace in Baptism:
    • Union with Christ in His death and resurrection
    • Birth into God’s family the Church
    • Forgiveness of sins
    • New life in the Holy Spirit
    • (pg 858)


Application:

Fallen Creation Focus: Apart from God righteousness is somehow incomplete

Because righteousness is incomplete, Christ fills it up

Promises to claim:
  • Jesus fulfills all righteousness
    • Jesus gives a new notion of what’s good
    • Jesus raises the bar of righteousness
    • Jesus creates what true righteousness is
    •  
  • Jesus participates in every one of our human experiences
  • Jesus also transcends our human experiences (This is my son …)
  • We need to be baptized by Jesus (3:14)
    • With the Holy Spirit and Fire (3:11)
    • Burn away all that is unnecessary (3:13)
  • We are united to Christ in our Baptism (BCP and Col 2:12)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day