Skip to main content

Exegetical Notes on 1 Corinthians 1:1-9


Exegetical Notes on 1 Corinthians 1:1-9

Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind-- just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among you-- so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ. He will also strengthen you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful; by him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.


Observation:
·         Authors: Paul and Sosthenes
·         Audience:
o       Church of God in Corinth
o       Those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus
o       Those who call upon the Lord Jesus Christ
·         Grace and Peace
·         Paul gives thanks
·         Grace has been given to the Corinthians
·         They’ve been enriched in speech and knowledge of every kind
·         The testimony of Christ has been strengthened among them
·         They are not lacking any spiritual gift
·         They are waiting for the revealing of The Lord Jesus Christ
·         Promise: He will strengthen them to the end - so that they will be blameless on the day of the Lord
·         God is faithful
·         By God they were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Who: Paul and Sosthenes
What: Greets the Church in Corinth and gives thanks for
Being enriched in knowledge
Testimony has been strengthened
Having every spiritual gift
Promises: They will be strengthened and be blameless
They were called into the fellowship of Christ
When: AD 53-57
Where: Corinth in Greece

Interpretation:

Author: Paul the Apostle
Audience: The Church in Corinth, and others who read the letter
            Issues the Corinthians were facing:
            Factions and divisions (1:10-13)
            Sexual immorality and the community’s acceptance of it (5:1-8)
Why: Paul was pointing out all of the good things that God has done for them before addressing the issues.  In a way, Paul is suggesting that their sinful behavior is beneath them.

Word Studies:
  • Church – Ecclesia: To be called out of something
  • v7. – … so that you are not lacking any spiritual gift.  Amplified Bible has consciously falling behind or lacking.
    • Rheims New Testament has: nothing is wanting in you any grace.
  • Some version of Grace – Charis – Appears 3 times in these nine verses
    • (G5486 in Strong’s) for gift in KJV, Spiritual Gift in NRSV and NIV, Grace in Rheims
    • 5486 – Charisma: A Divine gratuity, deliverance, spiritual endowment.  From 5483
    • 5483 – Charizomai: To grant a favor, rescue, pardon.  From 5485
    • 5485 – Charis: Graciousness, divine influence upon the heart.  From 5463
    • 5463 – Chairo: To be cheerful, calmly happy or well off.
    • In vv 3&4, the word Charis (5485) is used.
  • The word “called” appears 3x in these nine verses.  (v 1 for Paul and v 2 for saints [G2822 in Strong’s]  and v 9 for the Corinthians [G2564])
    • G2822 – kletos: Invited or appointed
    • G2564 – kaleo: To call aloud, to describe a person’s name.  In the GNT I have, the word is eklathate.  (Is it close to ecclesia?)
  • Church – G1577
    • G1577 – Ekklesia: A compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564.  A calling out, a religious meeting or congregation, an assembly
    • G1537 – Ek: from, among
  • Sanctified in v2 has the same root as holy “agio.”
    • G37 – hagiazo: To make holy
  • Saints – G40 – hagios: Holy


Fallen Creation Focus:
Problem in the text: Factions and Sexual immorality
Problem in the world: Factions and general nastiness
Grace in the text: Charis, Charisma, etc.
Grace in the world: The faithful community gathers to be filled with God’s grace.  We have Word and Sacrament at our disposal

Correlation:
Sacraments are outward and visible signs of inward and spiritual grace, given by Christ as sure and certain means by which we receive that grace.  (BCP pg. 857)

Grace is God’s favor towards us, unearned and undeserved; by grace God forgives our sins, enlightens our minds, stirs our hearts, and strengthens our wills.

Grace appears 125 times in the Bible.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day