Skip to main content

Exegetical Notes for Exodus 32:1-14

Exegetical Notes: Exodus 32:1-14

When the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain, the people gathered around Aaron, and said to him, “Come, make gods for us, who shall go before us; as for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.” Aaron said to them, “Take off the gold rings that are on the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me.” So all the people took off the gold rings from their ears, and brought them to Aaron. He took the gold from them, formed it in a mold, and cast an image of a calf; and they said, “These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt!” When Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation and said, “Tomorrow shall be a festival to the Lord.” They rose early the next day, and offered burnt offerings and brought sacrifices of well-being; and the people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to revel.

The Lord said to Moses, “Go down at once! Your people, whom you brought up out of the land of Egypt, have acted perversely; they have been quick to turn aside from the way that I commanded them; they have cast for themselves an image of a calf, and have worshiped it and sacrificed to it, and said, ‘These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt!’” The Lord said to Moses, “I have seen this people, how stiff-necked they are. Now let me alone, so that my wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them; and of you I will make a great nation.”

But Moses implored the Lord his God, and said, “O Lord, why does your wrath burn hot against your people, whom you brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? Why should the Egyptians say, ‘It was with evil intent that he brought them out to kill them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth’? Turn from your fierce wrath; change your mind and do not bring disaster on your people. Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, your servants, how you swore to them by your own self, saying to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants like the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have promised I will give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’” And the Lord changed his mind about the disaster that he planned to bring on his people.

Observation:

  • Moses was delayed (40 Days and 40 Nights)
  • People gathered around Aaron
    • Make gods for us
      • They shall go before us
    • We don’t know what happened to this fellow Moses
    • Aaron: Give me your gold earrings
      • People Complied
      • Took the Gold
      • Formed it in a mold
      • Made an image of a calf
      • These are your gods O Israel who led you out of Egypt (plural)
    • Built an Altar to the calf
    • Declared a festival tomorrow
  • Next day
    • Rose early
    • Offered burnt offerings
    • Sat down to eat and drink
    • Rose up to play
  • God to Moses
    • Go down at once
    • YOUR people whom YOU brought out of Egypt
    • Acted perversely
    • Quick to turn aside from what I commanded
    • Made a golden calf
      • Worshipped it
      • Sacrificed to it
      • Said, these are your gods o Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt
    • I have seen this people
    • They are stiff necked
    • Leave me alone
      • My wrath will burn hot against them
      • I will consume them
      • I will make of you a great nation
  • Moses to God
    • Why does your wrath burn hot
    • Your people, whom you brought out of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand.
    • Why should the Egyptians say,
      • It was with evil intent
      • He brought them out to kill them in the mountains
      • To consume them from the face of the earth.
    • Turn from your fierce wrath
    • Do not bring disaster upon your people
    • Remember
      • Abraham, Isaac, Israel
      • You swore
        • Multiply their descendents like the stars of heaven
        • All this land I have promised to your descendents
          • They shall inherit it forever.
  • God changed His mind.

Interpretation:

Between Exodus 20 and 32, God is giving Moses all of the laws to bring to the people.

By creating the Golden Calf, the people were condemned.

  • They violated the commandment not to make a graven image/idol
  • They kept the first commandment by claiming that the golden calf was the Lord
  • In doing so they distorted their image of God.

Never since has there been a prophet like Moses (Dt 34:10)

All other prophets conveyed God’s message. 

Moses pleaded with God not to bring calamity on the people.  He was interceding on the people’s behalf.

Moses argued from the following points of view

  • God’s reputation and immediate deeds
  • The fact that these were God’s people – emphasizing the relationship
  • Reiterated promises to the patriarchs

Correlation:

Abraham bargaining over Sodom and Gomorrah

Jesus is seated at the right hand of God interceding on our behalf.

Jesus took out human nature into Heaven where He now reigns with the Father and intercedes for us (BCP pg. 850)

Application:

The Episcopal Church continues to be in decline.  In my own prayers, perhaps I can be bold like Moses and intercede with God to restore us.  I can use the same frameworks:

  • God’s reputation and immediate deeds
  • Emphasize the relationship
  • Reiterate earlier promises

Homiletical Work:

Fallen creation focus: All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God (Romans 3:23)

Expository statement: Because all have sinned, Jesus intercedes for us (Romans 8:34) and there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day