Skip to main content

Exegetical Notes on Matthew 17:1-9


Exegetical Notes: Matthew 17:1-9

Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!” When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Get up and do not be afraid.” And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone.

As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus ordered them, “Tell no one about the vision until after the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”

Observation:

  • Jesus took Peter, James, and John
  • They went up a high mountain
  • They were alone
  • Jesus was transfigured
    • Face shown like the sun
    • Clothes were dazzling white.
Who: Jesus
What: Brought James, John, and Peter up the mountain and was transfigured
Where: Mount Tabor
When: After Peter’s confession of Jesus, and a while before Jesus went to Jerusalem

  • Moses and Elijah appeared and were talking with Him.
  • Peter said, “It is good for us to be here.”
    • Offered to make 3 dwellings for Jesus, Moses, and Elijah
Who: Peter
What: Expressed appreciation that they were there, offered to build booths/tabernacles

  • Bright cloud overshadowed them
  • Voice:
    • This is my Son, the Beloved
    • With Him I am well pleased
    • Listen to Him
Who: God the Father
What: Told them that Jesus was His Son, that Jesus was beloved, and that they should listen to Him.

  • Peter James and John fell to the ground
    • They were overcome with fear
  • Jesus came and touched them
    • Said to get up
    • Don’t be afraid
  • They got up
  • They saw no one but Jesus
  • They came down the mountain
  • Jesus told them to be quiet about the vision until He rose from the dead

Interpretation:
Literary Genre: Gospel – proclamation of Good News.  The Gospels record an orderly account of Jesus’ earthly ministry, his death, resurrection and ascension.  Not all details are included (John 21:25), but each writer emphasized certain points. 

Religious Context: Moses had a special relationship with God as the giver of the Torah.  He often entered into a cloud to speak with God.  He was given the tablets of the Ten Commandments on a mountain (Sinai).  (Exodus 24:12-18)  Moses died before entering the Promised Land.  God took him to a mountain to show it to him before he died.  (Mount Nebo in Jordan)

Elijah is one of the few people in the Old Testament who was taken up into heaven instead of dying (2 Kings 2:3-9).  It was said by Malachi (3:1 and 4:5) that Elijah would appear before the coming of the Messiah. (Lit Day of the Lord)

Geographical: The traditional cite of Mt. Tabor is southwest of the Sea of Galilee. 

Key Words:

Transfigured (G3339):metamorphoo from G3326 and G3445 – Literally to change
G3326 – meta: amid
G3445 – morphoo: to fashion or form

Correlation:
Mark’s Transfiguration Story: Mark 9:1-10

Moses: Exodus 24:12-18, Deuteronomy 34:1-8

Elijah 2 Kings 2:3-9 Malachi 3:1, Malachi 4:5

Collect for Last Epiphany:
  • Jesus revealed His glory on the mount
  • We can behold his light by faith
  • We will be strengthened to bear our cross
  • We will be changed into his likeness from glory to glory

Collect for Transfiguration:
  • God revealed this mystery to chosen witnesses
  • We can be delivered from the disquietude of this world
  • By faith we can behold the King in His beauty


Application:
Spending time with Jesus is important.  Peter, James, and John needed to get to an isolated place.  I need to be better about having definite quiet time.

Homiletical Work:

Fallen Creation Focus: Humanity is separated from God’s glory.

Expository Statement: Because humanity is separated from God’s glory, God reveals His nature to us in Christ.

God reveals His nature in solitude

God reveals His nature in tradition

God reveals His nature through obedience

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day