Skip to main content

Exegetical Notes on Luke 2:1-20


Luke 2:1-20 (NRSV)

In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. All went to their own towns to be registered. Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David. He went to be registered with Mary, to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.

In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for see-- I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying,

"Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace among those whom he favors!"

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us." So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child; and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.

Observation:
Emperor Augustus ordered a census
Quirinius was governor of Syria
Joseph went from Nazarus to Bethlehem
Went with Mary
She was pregnant with Jesus
They were engaged
She gave birth
There was no room at the inn
Gave birth in a manger

Who: Joseph and Mary
When: Augustus was emperor
Where: Bethlehem – in a manger
What: Gave birth to Jesus

(Change of Scene)

Shepherds were watching their flocks
Angel appeared with The Glory of the Lord
They were terrified
Angel comforted them – announced the birth of Jesus – told of the manger and being wrapped in cloths.
Multitude of heavenly host appeared singing Gloria

Who: Shepherds
What: Received the message from an Angel
Where: Region of Bethlehem
When: Same time frame

(Change of Scene)

Shepherds went to Bethlehem to see Christ.
Told Mary and Joseph everything
Mary treasured the words and pondered them in her heart
Shepherds returned, praising God

Who: Shepherds
What: Went to Bethlehem to see Christ
Where: Bethlehem
When: Same time period

Cause and effect: The Shepherd’s visit prompted Mary to treasure all of these things and ponder them in her heart.

Canonical Context:
Prologue
Birth of John the Baptist foretold
Birth of Jesus foretold
Visitation
Birth of John the Baptist
Circumcision of John the Baptist
Hidden life of John the Baptist
Birth of Jesus
Circumcision of Jesus
Hidden life of Jesus

Repeated Words:
Lord is mentioned 2x in verse 9 and then again in verse 11 referring to Jesus.

Euangelelidzomai (Good News – Version of evangelism) is used in verse 10. 


Interpretation:

Cultural / Historical: The Roman Empire used censuses to determine what class its citizens would be in.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class_in_ancient_Rome

Jesus, born in such abject poverty, would not have qualified for any such citizenship, let alone being King.

Author: Luke the physician
Occupational Skills: Physician
Cultural Advantages: Gentile, had a knowledge of formal Greek – able to speak to a highly educated audience
Religious Experiences: Traveling companion of the Apostle Paul.  Several times in Acts the narration shifts to the first person.


Audience: Gentile Christians – The Luke-Acts compendium shows how the audience grew beyond the initial Jewish Christians to include the Gentiles.
Purpose: 1:4 … so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.  (Strengthening the faith of a believer / believers.)


Literary Genre: Infancy Narrative

Message to the original audience:
  • Jesus the Christ was born in poverty
    • This king has no Roman citizenship
  • Jesus was born in Bethlehem
  • Angels announced Jesus’ birth to poor shepherds
  • The shepherd’s witness prompted Mary to ponder these things in her heart


Timeless Principles:
  • We all need to be made aware of the really important things.
  • The Gospel is understood by everyone who trusts
  • The Gospel does demand a response
  • An encounter with God is intense and comforting at the same time
  • Christ works his power through powerless situations
    • Yeast
    • Mustard
    • Sower
    • Lamp
  • Christ brings peace and God’s glory to the world (vv 14)




Correlation:
Scriptural: Luke 11:21-22 – Good news is revealed to little children and hidden from learned and wise

Catechism (Book of Common Prayer):
Pg. 845 – we live apart from God and out of harmony with creation
Pg. 849 – Jesus is the only perfect image of the Father, and shows us the nature of God
Pg. 850 – The divine Son became human, so that in him human beings might be adopted as children of God, and be made heirs of God’s kingdom
Pg. 850 – Jesus took our human nature into heaven where he now reigns with the Father and intercedes for us.


Christ, the Christian and the Church by E.L. Mascal
3 Unities:
  • Unity within the Trinity
  • Unity of Christ’s human and divine nature
  • Unity of the Baptized Believer to Christ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day