Skip to main content

Days Out and Marching Along

Saturday I started some seasonal work.  Just like when I was in seminary, I took a part time job working for Jackson Hewitt doing tax preparation.  It had some mixed feelings.  On the one hand it felt good to put on a tie and go into an office again.  As much as I enjoy my various interests, I find sitting at home pretty agitating - especially when I'm not financially contributing to my family.  At the same time there's this nagging feeling that it's not what I'm supposed to be doing.  I am a minister of Word and Sacrament and haven't found a place to exercise that ministry yet.

The storytelling ministry continues to march along.  I'm at the point where I'm waiting for a few moving pieces to come together.  After trying out a few different options for an email list and distributing my free resource, I settled on Mail Chimp.  It's pretty easy, user friendly, and even has a free version.  Even as I scale it's not going to cost me hundreds of dollars every month.  It even has landing pages where I can trade email addresses in exchange for my Guide To Christian Storytelling.

The only thing holding me back at this point is a feature meant to deter spammers.  Every Mail Chimp account requires a mailing address at the bottom of the emails.  I guess their reasoning is that if you're a fly by night scammer you won't want your personal details doxxed by every email.  I'm trying to run a legit ministry but I still don't want my home address broadcast with everything I send out.  All it takes is one ... So I set up a Post Office Box and just need to activate it.  Of course to do so I need a picture ID.  Since I switched my driver's license to NJ last week, I'm still waiting for my new ID to come in the mail.  (Sigh)  It's going to get there.

So I have a few things going on, and I'm excited for both.  I can't wait to get the email list really up and running so I can move on to my next phase.  One the Free Guide is released I'll be setting up a Storytelling Challenge on Facebook.  Let's see how many people I can get to participate.  It will definitely be something new.

Well it's been a long day so time to sign off.  Make sure you tell your stories and follow my Facebook Page so you know when the new stuff is released.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day