Skip to main content

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?”

As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.  An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.  It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so I signed up.  I committed to a 90 minute masterclass and I was sure they were going to try and sell me something at the end. They did.  The class was good, and despite not being interested in the expensive coaching program, it inspired me to take action in another direction.


For several years, I have been interested in storytelling, and its potential for evangelistic ministry.  I have always wanted to see people able to share their faith in a way that’s respectful to the listeners.  I bristle at the high pressure tactics that some traditions use - "believe or else" kind of messages.  I have also wanted to see The Episcopal Church grow, because I believe our ethos has something unique and valuable to offer.  The Episcopal Church is a place where people can come and encounter God without having every motivation questioned or described as sinful.  Instead we can come as children, and ask where God is leading us to go.  In the past I tried to rely on the beauty of the liturgy, and I expected reputation and organic growth would occur naturally.  In the early days of my discernment, say 2000-2003 things were working that way.  But for the last 20 years culture and ethos have been different, and The Church has been in steady decline.  Many people would like to see this trend turn around, but they worry that they don’t have the skills or knowledge, or that they will come across as a pushy evangelist and avoid it all together.  I know because I used to have those same fears.


My fears really came about in college when I was in an ER waiting room.  A friend was suffering from a detached retina so I drove him in to get it looked at.  While he was in the back waiting to be seen, a man approached me and started his witnessing pitch.  Then he invited me to his Church.  I responded thank you but I had a church I was very happy with, and named my college chaplaincy.  His response was, “Oh I used to be an Episcopalian before I got saved.”  The conversation went downhill from there.  When he was finally ready to go he tried to hug me.  I just looked at him dumfounded.  After insulting my Church he stood there with a big smile on his face and his arms outstretched.  As my throat constricted I told him that was okay and offered a handshake instead.  “Come on I’m just trying to give you a hug!” he said.  Again, no thank  you, and a handshake.  This time he took me up on my offer, and I’m sure my hands were sweaty and clammy from being so uncomfortable.  Please dear God, do not make me like this person.  I want to share faith just not like that.


As the years have progressed the theme of storytelling has come up again and again.  When I was going through my bout of rejections for parish jobs, I read Carol Martin’s Boost Your Interview IQ.  Her biggest piece of advice is to prepare yourself with stories before the interview to show how you’re the best fit for the job.  When I took Vinh Giang’s Stage Academy class for continuing education, he advocated using stories to illustrate points and make your public speaking come alive.  When I looked into nonprofit fundraising during the pandemic, I found suggestions of storytelling to show the impact donations have on people’s lives.  Finally when I turned to Russell Brunson’s Expert Secrets to help with this project, he teaches how to use stories to make an emotional connection with your audience.


At some point in this journey I had an epiphany.  Storytelling can work so well within the Church.  I’m convinced that stories are the perfect vehicle for sharing faith in a way that respects where a person is on their journey.  One image from the Bible that comes to mind is Jacob’s ladder.  Jacob had a dream where he saw a giant ladder and angels were ascending and descending on it.  Today I think of it as a symbol for a spiritual journey.  Some people are on higher steps, some are on lower ones.  A good story meets the person at their current step, and offers something valuable that’s relevant to where they are.


I’ve come to develop two different types of stories, and two subtypes of each.  Lenten Stories describe how you’ve changed your mind or actions on a topic.  We all have these little moments in our lives where we respond to particular moments of good news.  Easter Stories point to goodness in some tangible way.  Along with these types I have developed three keys for keeping your listeners engaged, and those are Empathy, Anticipation, and Laughter.


Since I’ve been doing this work I’ve watched my online presence expand.  In the past I would write a blog post full of content but no stories.  If I got a dozen views I was lucky.  Now I’m getting anywhere from fifty to one hundred views, and I’m posting much more often.


Storytelling has affected me personally as well.  The other night my wife and I attended a Christmas party, and I found myself asking questions to solicit people’s stories, and when I had a point to make I would lead off with a story.  My favorite moment was when I was talking with a gentleman about cooking, and I described the first time I had a sous vied steak at a restaurant.  That steak was so tender I could cut it with my fork, and the flavor was perfect and intense.  When I told him how I learned about the sous vied technique he was getting out his phone looking up one of the wands on Amazon.  I wasn’t intending to sell him anything, just share this delicious way I learned how to cook steak.


I’m looking forward to the journey.  I truly believe storytelling can add a lot of value to the life of the Church, and I’m happy to spend these days doing it.


1 - If you'd like to help me out, like and follow my Facebook Page.  If I can get up to 25 followers I can have a custom URL.


2 - Also, I'm having conversations with some people about doing a half day storytelling workshop.  If you're interested in having me come out to your parish at no charge send me a DM on Facebook.  


And finally: #TellYourStories





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day