Skip to main content

Who Wants To Listen?

 We've all had that fear right?  If I share with my friends and family they will pull away, or even might not want to spend time with me.  I've had those experiences myself.  I can remember as a teenager being so excited about my new faith that I wanted everyone to know about it.  As I shared what I thought were brilliant insights and theology I watched people's eyes glaze over, and some even told me to cut it out.

The biggest mistake I made was jumping to the end of my journey.  I was trying to talk theology while neglecting all of the important stories that brought me to that point.  At the time I didn't appreciate the impact of all those little experiences, like my friend's Advent Calendar, or another friend's First Communion class.  Those experiences were the sparks that set me on my journey, and it is so important that they keep getting shared.

When I started recognizing the impact that Jacob's Ladder can have, I realized that sharing huge things in the beginning are counter-productive.  If a person has only taken a few steps towards the faith life, it is both important and effective to share inspirational stories to fan the flames of faith.

When I was a teenager, I remember all the TV shows had these cool places where the characters would hang out.  Charles in Charge had the Yesterday Cafe.  Saved by the Bell had The Max.  The 90's could be kind of boring, especially in a small town.  Next thing I knew a place opened up on Genesee St in my home town of Chittenango, NY.  I went in to check it out and there was music, pool, tables and chairs, snacks - all for free.  I thought it was too good to be true.  With the music pumping in my ears I started talking with the founder, a man named Jeff.  I asked him why he was doing all of this.  He just looked at me and said, "I'm trying to have a place where kids can come off the streets.

I knew his family was Christian and at the same time I thought to myself, "Wow what a cool guy."  Jeff shared just a little bit of his story.  He was concerned about kids on the streets and wanted to do something about it.  That was all it took and I was hooked.

At that moment I had only taken a  few steps on my faith journey.  It wasn't foremost in my mind.  And yet, that little place was exactly what I needed.  I went there often, and always had a great time.  Sometimes there were speakers, and I listened to them when I was ready.

My point is that these positive experiences were crucial for me in my journey, and they didn't involve anyone getting in my face and pushing their beliefs on me.  They were exactly what I needed at that stage of my journey.

Today the world works differently, but the principles are the same.  Isn't it more helpful to hear something that's non-threatening and appropriate to where you are?  Wouldn't you rather add value to someone's life than argue with them over who's right and who's wrong?

Today we have Facebook and X and YouTube and all kinds of places where you can share stories of positive impact - stories that remind people that there is good in this world.

I'd love for you to join me on this journey of storytelling.  Since I've started it more and more stories keep coming to my mind.  To keep up with the latest, be sure to like and follow my Facebook Page.  But most importantly, tell your stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day