Skip to main content

Heads Up or Heads Down

I've often wondered why there is so much resistance in the Episcopal Church to using overhead projectors. Many other denominations use them, and have been quite successful. The few times I've brougt up the idea, I've received the most vehement reactions.

While I was serving at one parish in Arlington, VA, we tried to have the Liturgy of the Word on a projector screen. One particular Sunday the equipment wasn't working, and the Priest announced that we would have to use the Prayer Book that day. At least one person began applauding. I was discussing this incident with some other parishioners, and one said to me, "I don't know what it is, but I like having the Book of Common Prayer in my hands."

I thought of this incident today after my kettlebell workout. I was having a difficult time packing my shoulders down, and recovering my heartbeat in between sets. Eventually I realized that I was looking down at my watch in order to monitor my heart rate, which of course caused it to increase.

In his RESET video, Scott Sonnon describes that posture as the "Prey Posture." Your head is down, your shoulders are rounded, and your getting ready for fight or flight. This is fine for when you're going to face a saber-toothed tiger, but in general it interferes with our performance. Unfortunately this is the exact posture we adopt when we're reading a book.

In contrast, if we're looking up at a projector screen, we'll adopt what Coach Sonnon describes as the "Predator Posture." Our head is up, our spine is aligned, our shoulders are back and down. This posture isn't designed so much for aggression, but for confidence and flow. The predator posture sends a signal to our nervous system that we have the skills to handle whatever situation is in front of us.

So you might think that changing the posture from a book to a screen would be a positive experience for prayer right? Actually I've experienced the exact opposite. Years of habitually slumping over a book causes us to adapt to this posture. Neurotransmitters can become locked inside our muscles and work to maintain themselves. When we change our posture, even to one that's more adaptive in the long run, we release these neurtransmitters and experience immediate anxiety. Don't worry, this will pass.

If we are to move from one posture to another, from slumped over to standing up tall, we're also changing the way we relate to God. We're no longer like the tax collector beating his breast saying, "Have mercy on me Lord, a sinner" (Luke 18:13). Instead we take the attitude of the Epistle to the Hebrews, "Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence ... (Hebrews 4:16, NIV)." Neither one is better than the other, they just are.

So the next time you find yourself looking up and thinking you'd rather have a prayer-book in your hands, remember that there may be more going on here than simple preference. The prayer book is a tool - it's not something that will validate or invalidate a sacrament. I promise that the anxiety will pass as long as you don't make to much out of it.

Thanks for reading and feel free to post your responses.

God's Peace,
Fr. Conor+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day