Skip to main content

The American Gospel and the Gospel of Jesus Christ

Quite often I feel like our Churches have confused the American Gospel with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This confusion runs so deep in some places that the American Gospel has even supplanted the Gospel of Jesus Christ and become hostile to it. This is evident in larger society when Christmas Trees and signs saying, "Merry Christmas" are banned from public areas. This is really a shame because the two can co-exist quite well. The American Gospel was actually designed to allow them to co-exist.

To begin with, let's take some time and define what the American Gospel is. Much of this material I owe to John Meacham in his book, "American Gospel." The definition becomes sticky because it has changed over the past two hundred years. The American Gospel in the 18th century was articulated differently than it is today. When this nation was founded, the great experiment was one of religious liberty. Countless wars had been fought in Europe over what the official state religion would be. The founding fathers wanted to avoid this, so they wrote into the first amendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religon, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

There are two parts to this amendment. Congress shall not establish a religon, and Congress shall not prohibit the practice of religion. This was an idea of religious liberty. The so-called "Separation of Church and State" was enacted to protect the Church from the state as much as it was to protect the state from the Church. However, it was never intended to suppress religious expression completely, as some may assert. The experiment was based on the assumption that religion created moral individuals. Moral individuals in turn created a moral society. However morality has never been something that can be dictated or enforced by law. Hence the separation, allowing the freedom for religious institutions to funciton on their own merit.

Today the message has changed. No longer is the idea to allow religious liberty, but to promote religious toleration, and religious respect. It may sound like a good idea but in reality it hasn't worked very well. Religious toleration is just patronizing. "I don't share your beliefs, but I will tolerate you in my presense" is an extreme example. Religious respect requires one to suspend their uniqueness in order to consider the point of view of another. This may be fine as an intellectual experiment, but it can seriously undermine an institution if it remains unchecked. For example, recently a priest in the Episcopal Church went public saying that she was both a Christian and a Muslim. She didn't see any conflict between the two. However, Christianity believes that Jesus Christ is the second person of the Trinity, become incarnate as a human being, thus worthy of worship. Islam believes that Jesus was a prophet, but not God. Either He's God or he isn't - you can't have it both ways. This religious respect blurred the distinctions between the two religions, and developed something that was neither. Left to its own devices, religious respect will end in a form of neo-paganism. This will then become the only acceptable religion in the public eye, and we will have an unoffical state religion.

Returning to the idea of religious liberty however, allows for a plethora of religions, all with their uniqueness. It does not result in the syncrotism we have seen before because it allows for some clear boundaries. For example, there is a Buddhist community near where I live. They're currently under attack by the local government because the zoning laws do not allow for a place of worship in their current location. I'm actually in favor of the Budhists remaining where they are, and being free to practice their religion. At the same time I do not believe any of the tenants of Budhism. I'm a Christian and they're two completely different things. What I do believe in is that they have the right to practice their religion as they have received it. That is religious liberty, and that's what America was founded upon.

So where has the confusion come from? It seems that lately we've allowed the idea of religous toleration and religious respect enter into our pews and pulpits. We've then had to abandon some of the ideas that makes Christianity unique and exlusive. "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me (John 14:16 NIV)" has no place in an age of religious respect. It does in an age of religious liberty though, and as Christians, we do have the right to believe in the unique salvation that comes through Jesus Christ.

So what is this unique salvation. To describe it fully would require a completely separate post. I can sum it up out of our Eucharistic Prayers. Every Sunday we proclaim the mystery of faith, "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again (1979 Book of Commoon Prayer p. 363)." To this I will add a lesson we heard in Church a few Sundays ago, "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit that dwells in you (Romans 8:11)." Through our Baptism we are united to Christ in his death and resurrection. We then have died to sin, and risen to a new life through the power of the Holy Spirit, in fellowship with God the Father. No amount of religious toleration or respect can come close to this Gospel.

As Christians, actually as Americans we need to claim this religious liberty, and exercise it. We do not have to cow-tow to every doctrine and belief that comes our way - it just isn't necessary nor is it helpful. What we do need to do is claim our uniqueness as disciples of Jesus Christ our Lord, participate fully as members of His body, and live in the grace and fellowship of the Holy Spirit.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day