Skip to main content

An Outline of the Faith - The Ten Commandments

Today marks Part 2 of my Lenten Journey through the Catechism - the Ten Commandments.  (BCP pg. 847-848)

When I was a teenager I remember commenting in Sunday School how we hear a lot of Thou Shalt Nots, and isn't there anything that tells me what I should do.  My classmates quickly flipped in their Bibles to the two greatest commandments, which are to Love the Lord Your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength (Dt 6:5) and to love your neighbor as yourself (Leviticus 19:18).  Yes Jesus described these two as the greatest commandments but in reality he was quoting from the Torah.  They had already been around for quite a while.

In The Episcopal Church, our Catechism uses these two commandments as a frame work to understand the Ten Commandments given to Moses on Mt. Sinai.  To be fair Moses was given another 603 at that time but after the first ten the rest of Israel thought the experience was too intense and sent Moses to learn the rest, and then come back to teach them.

Showing our English roots, our Prayer Book describes the commandments in terms of our duty - duty to God and duty to our neighbor.  To be honest I struggle quite a bit with the concept of duty.  It's a word that is very meaningful to our British cousins across the pond but to Americans it can sound like something we have to do but we really don't want to.  Returning to the Scriptural source we can see that the word duty is never mentioned, only that we love God, and love our neighbors as ourselves.

So we love God by believing in Him and trusting Him.  We love him by putting nothing in the place of God, meaning that the teachings of Christ are the highest authority in terms of truth and morals, no matter how difficult they may seem to us at the time.  We love God by showing respect to Him in thought, word, and deed.  Only invoke God's name in ways that are beneficial to others and in accordance with Christ's teachings.  And finally, we love God by setting aside regular times for worship, prayer, and study.  As our world becomes increasingly busy it has become fashionable to find other things to do on Sundays and other holy days.  But the truth is those days are very special, and forgetting about them is like turning down your grandmother's invitation to Christmas Dinner so you can work on your backhand for the upcoming ping-pong tournament.

We are also told to love our neighbors as ourselves.  In a Lenten study that I'm leading, we're talking about seeing people as people, whereby their hopes, dreams, goals, fears, and challenges are every bit as real to us as our own.  This doesn't mean that others become more important than us so that we diminish who we are, but it's like we're creating a beautiful mosaic, with everyone contributing pieces out of their own life.  If all I'm doing is looking at my needs and challenges, I only have a small fraction of the whole picture.

So we love our neighbors by honoring our parents, and those who brought us into this world.  When they make reasonable and just requests, we honor them.

We love our neighbors by honoring life in all of its forms, recognizing that a life tragically cut short is a tragedy, whether it is sanctioned by the government or not.

We love our neighbors by making right use of our sexuality, not pursuing it for our own pleasure, but for it's ability to unite two persons permanently and when it is God's will, for the creation of new human beings.  Anything less than this does a disservice to God's gift.

We love our neighbors by seeking fairness in all economic exchanges, and recognizing that there are certain minimums that people need to fully participate in society.  We do not allow ourselves to fall victim to the "grab all you can get" mentality that treats others as irrelevancies to our own lives.

We love our neighbors by speaking the truth and being honest, making sure that everyone has full access to the best information when they make decisions.  This does not mean we judge other people and then call it the truth.  It does mean that we only speak those words that are useful in building up other human beings.

And finally, we love our neighbors by being content with what we have, and celebrating others' good fortune.  Acting as if the world owes us something subtly puts others down and makes us miserable to be around.

The Ten Commandments, with all of their implications set a really high bar, and though we do not always obey them to their fullest extent, they are still valuable because they show us where we are headed.  Each day by God's grace we live into them more fully, until that final day when all of creation is transformed by Christ's redeeming power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day