Skip to main content

An Outline of the Faith - Human Nature

This is part 1 of an ongoing series commenting on the Outline of the Faith, commonly called the Catechism.

Lent will be upon us in just one week, and it's an appropriate time to look back on who we are and what God has done for us.  This week I'm going to examine the first section of the Catechism, entitled Human Nature (pg 845 Book of Common Prayer)

We are part of God's creation, made in the image of God.  It means we are free to make choices: to love, to create, to reason, and to live in harmony with creation and with God.

Freedom is a concept that can be really elusive.  Often people think they are free when in reality, they are stuck in the same fixed cycle of unproductive behavior, whether it's a self-destructive addiction, a reoccurring argument with a loved one, or a continued and repeated problem in one's professional life.  Often times we think freedom means expressing whatever pops into our head at the moment, hoping for catharsis, or doing whatever feels good at the present moment, long term consequences be damned.

Being made in the image of God however means something very different.  Freedom in this sense means, as the Prayer Book describes, freedom to love, to create, to reason, and to live in harmony.  Some people see this as restrictive, buts that's often because they are stuck, and trapped in old, unproductive cycles.  These cycles become so pervasive that we engage in self-deception in order to justify their existence.  For example, "There's nothing wrong with my violent outbursts, you just really make me angry ... I have my drinking under control ... My first an only objective is to maximize profits at whatever the cost."  1 John 1:8 says, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (NRSV)"

From the beginning, human beings have misused their freedom and make wrong choices.  We rebel against God, and we put ourselves in the place of God.

Here is another paradox.  When we misuse our freedom, we do so by putting ourselves in the place of God.  In today's language we could say that we put ourselves at the center of the universe.  This creates a mindset that can only be sustained by self-deception.  The reality is that the rest of the world is made up of other human beings, who count just as much as you or I.  When we place ourselves at the center of the universe, we are in effect saying,  "My needs/wants/desires are more important than yours."  (For a more thorough treatment of the subject, see Leadership and Self Deception by the Arbinger Institute.)  Of course when we are in this place, it doesn't seem that way at all.  When we place ourselves at the center of the universe, since it took a lie to get there, "I am more important than you," we need to continually lie, even to ourselves in order to maintain that position.  We have to lie so much that we come to believe our own fabrication.  Otherwise we would have to face all the terrible and unkind things we said and did while we objectified other people.

C.S. Lewis described this phenomenon this way: “When a man is getting better he understands more and more clearly the evil that is still left in him. When a man is getting worse he understands his own badness less and less. A moderately bad man knows he is not very good: a thoroughly bad man thinks he is all right. This is common sense, really. You understand sleep when you are awake, not while you are sleeping. You can see mistakes in arithmetic when your mind is working properly: while you are making them you cannot see them. You can understand the nature of drunkenness when you are sober, not when you are drunk. Good people know about both good and evil: bad people do not know about either.” — from Mere Christainity

Our help is in God.  God first helped us by revealing Himself and his will, through nature and history, through many seers and saints, and especially through the prophets of Israel.

We cannot get unstuck on our own.  It took a lie to put us in the center of the universe, and it takes continual lies to maintain our position there.  This is an unfortunate place since there are billions of other human beings who at many times think that they too are the center of the universe.  The way to get unstuck, is to recognize the One who truly is at the center of the universe, the Creator of heaven and earth.

The third, and final paradox for today is that only by relinquishing our self-deceiving, false throne at the center, do we find true happiness and peace.  Once God is at the center, and we as people surround Him, we are free to act in accordance with our true nature, which is to be loving, creative, reasonable, and harmonious.  It may be possible to think that we are the first three things while seated on our central throne, but the fourth remains forever elusive.  It's only in the surrounding regions do we experience all three.

Why is this?  Dr. C. Terry Warner, founder of the Arbinger Institute calls to mind that as human beings we always have a sense or desire to do something for somebody else.  In short, to be helpful.  We can never point to an external cause for this sense, so it must either be inherent to who we truly are as human beings, or have a divine source.  Either way, it exists.  When we truly know a person well, and understand their unique challenges, goals, and aspirations, that sense leads us to offer help in ways that are truly meaningful.  It's only in betraying that sense, which is more than simply saying no, do we deem another person's needs as illegitimate and put ourselves back on our central throne.  But when we honor that sense to be helpful, and loving, and creative, and reasonable, we see the world with different eyes.  Aspects of life that drove us crazy before and disrupted our own sense of peace now become unimportant.  We can peacefully do something meaningful for the people in our lives, and then move on to the next thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day