Skip to main content

Everything You Think You Know About Gun Violence is Wrong!

Today I've been reading the often predictable and obnoxious posts about gun violence / gun control in light of the recent tragedy in San Bernardito, CA.  The usual battle lines are drawn, positions become entrenched, thus ensuring that no constructive dialogue will take place and nothing will change.  I fear that in our future we will experience many more episodes like this because we've become a culture that's addicted to violence much like a heroine user becomes addicted what's inside the needle.  Everyone seems to think that their position is the right one, while ironically every single one of these talking points are absolute garbage and serve to exacerbate the problem.  Let's elaborate:

We could prevent this kind of violence if we had stricter gun control laws.
The issue here is that it fails to address the very source of the violence - the human heart.  As long as people have made up their minds to kill others as retribution for their misdeeds they are going to find a way to do it.  The Boston Bombers made some homemade explosives with common kitchen items.  If you create stricter regulations and then sit back on your heels someone is going to find a way around them, be it a knife, IED, baseball bat, rocks, potato cannon, homemade napalm, etc. etc.  What we need to do is address the root causes of the violence, not the mechanism by which it finds its form.

God isn't fixing this!
This was the headline in today's issue of the NY Daily News.  I'll admit that this one pissed me off a lot.  We have an unprecedented rise in nones, dones, non-religious, atheist, pseudo-atheist, and a general culture that doesn't care about God.  Let's be clear that this is the same God who teaches you to forgive, to turn the other cheek, to put your sword away because whoever lives by the sword dies by the sword, to pray for those who persecute you.  Christianity is difficult.  It is really, really hard to love somebody in  the face of their hatred.  So most people have given up.  But can anyone honestly say that if we lived as a society according to the Sermon on the Mount we would be the worse off for it?  Quite the contrary.  A robust faith actually leaves zero room for this kind of violence so let's quit pushing it to the side and then wondering how things got so bad.

We need better mental health care.
This statement taken on its own is actually true.  But to invoke it anytime there's a mass shooting is profoundly offensive to anyone who has struggled with mental health issues.  Mental illness has a huge spectrum, and only a small percentage of them are actually violent people.  Most, I would venture to guess, just struggle to put on a brave face and make it through the day while inside they're dying.  Claiming that a violent person is 'sick' or 'crazy' does a huge disservice to the millions of people who have worked hard, struggled, and live a life in the face of their difficulties.  Let's not group them together.

Responsible citizens with guns can prevent these kind of occurrences.
Today I'm an equal opportunity offender.  We have a pervasive myth in our society that violence in certain circumstances is somehow redemptive.  As long as the good guys shoot the bad guys everything is okay.  This myth pervades all kinds of movies, video games, entertainment, politics.  You can claim that the vast majority of people who indulge in this kind of media don't commit violent acts - but every single one of them reinforces the myth.  The other problem with it is that in real life you can't tell who the good guys are and who the bad guys are.  In his letter to the Romans St. Paul taught us that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Ro 3:23).  If that's true we should take a more humble approach to who we are and not be so quick to applaud killing because somehow we're 'good' and the others are 'bad.'  Trust me you're not smart enough to make that kind of judgement so leave it up to God.

This is because of religious extremism
The more I've researched the more I'm convinced that this is a red-herring argument designed to ignore the fact that our society and government has actually created a lot of the problems that are erupting violently.  In the 1950's the United States CIA engineered a coup d'etat that put a brutal dictator in charge of Iran.  When they revolted and set up their own system we declared them 'bad.'  In the 1980's we took sides in the Afghanistan Civil War and then pulled out as soon as the Soviets left.  Then in the early 2000's we bombed Afghanistan back to the stone age, and in a matter of minutes destroyed a civilization that took centuries to build.  When that wasn't enough for our blood lust we invaded Iraq, dismantled their government, and then left because their security, as we claimed, was 'their responsibility.'  Contrast this with what we did following World War II.  We build bases in Japan, Germany, and Italy, and helped them rebuild their societies.  Today they are some of our closest allies.  Restorative justice demands that you fix, repair, or rebuild after you've damaged or destroyed something.  No matter how noble you think you are going into war, there are always going to be damage that affects more people than we care to admit.  And in order to repair that harm you need to be willing to walk beside them for the long haul.  I strongly doubt that the main reason for these attacks is to impose someone else's way of life upon us.  I do feel it's because people want us to stop destroying them.

So what does all of this mean?
Hatred, judgement, self-righteousness, and violence all go hand in hand.  You cannot fight your way to a more peaceful society.  This is why when St. Peter took his sword and cut of the ear of the high priest's servant, Jesus told him to put away his sword.  For everyone who lives by the sword dies by the sword  (Matthew 26:52).  Every one of the arguments is an example of trying to live by the sword.  They arrogantly assume that the problem can be fixed so long as someone else changes, be it more guns, less guns, mental health, less religion, etc.  The only solution is for human beings to take responsibility for what's in their own hearts.  Live a life of love and kindness and generosity and gentleness and justice and don't give room to all this other trash.  Let's live in a better way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Chapter: Putting Old Tools To New Use

 I've begun a new chapter in my life.  A few months ago my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ after living in Norfolk, VA for over sixteen years.  My wife got a great call in Philadelphia, and I'm currently looking for my next call.  In the mean time I'm keeping busy. I decided to take my skills in Congregational Development and bring them to the online world.  I launched a Facebook page called Ministry Development , and I'm following Russell Brunson's model in Expert Secrets to reach as wide an audience as possible. My goal for this phase is to dedicate 2024 to learning, developing, and teaching the art of storytelling as a vehicle for sharing faith.  This is remarkably different from the idea that many people have in their heads.  In some quick Facebook polls, I found that many people fear sharing their faith for one of two reasons.  The first is that they have had bad experiences with evangelists in the past - the kind where someone would get in your face and tell y

My Journey: How I got here

In the summer of 2023 my wife received a phone call, offering her a job as rector of Christ Church Philadelphia.  I was excited as the prospect of moving closer to family, it was a great opportunity for her, so we made the decision to accept.  After the goodbye tears at our old congregations we watched all of our belongings being packed into a moving van and made the trek up to the Northeast.  When we arrived and settled in to our new home I began looking for a call myself so we both could exercise our priestly ministries.  Then the responses started coming in.  “No, no, no thank you, no, heck no, this isn’t a good fit, no, no, no, and no.”  In between fits of rage and general despair I started to pray, “Okay God, here I am.  I want to serve and add value.  What would you have me do?” As one does when pondering, I distracted myself with Facebook.   An ad came up offering a free masterclass on how to earn a living online as a musician.   It looked intriguing, and I love playing music so

Setbacks, Disappointments, and New Opportunities

Yesterday I received a phone call I had been waiting anxiously for. It was about a job I had put in for - and I didn’t get it. The person delivering the news was kind, and even encouraged me to apply for another position that, in her opinion, was a better fit for me. It is a different kind of job, would require a decent commute, and I’m not sure I have it in me to enter another process right now.  This morning I got myself showered and dressed and put on my clericals. Even though I was home all day I wanted to shoot a video and hence the outfit. Somehow just dressing up had me feeling less dejected - like I still could do something I was proud of. I remember years ago when my dad was looking for work. Each day he put on a shirt and tie before filling out job applications.  After the video I scheduled some more content, opened up my notebook, and started working on my plan. The ideas began to flow, time seemed to flow by, and before I knew it I had a pretty great outline for a half day